This week I have been working on my personal project while other team members spend some time on the cinematic. The personal project needed time spent on it this week to improve a lot of features and implement obstacles and make the level playable.
The first task for this week was implementing the obstacles which included fences, boulders and arrows. The fence was the easiest obstacle as it is just placed into the level with collision physics. This is make the jumps harder and get in players way. The next obstacle was the arrow script this took a while to ensure the arrow flew in the correct direction, with the correct rotation but once this was sorted the player triggers the arrow and then has jump over it. The hardest obstacle was the boulder this was easy to set up as it could just be made active as the play steps into the trigger. The problem with the boulder is that you don’t want it to be too fast so that the player cannot escape but you don’t want it to be too slow as the player will not be underneath as it falls. I spent quite a bit of time ensuring that the boulders and triggers where in the right place.
A feature I realised that would help me with the creation of this level and other levels in the Unity game was the ability to create prefabs. Prefabs allow me to create a game object that consists of multiple components then saves that to reuse when needed. This worked particularly well with the obstacles and trigger as I could place a trigger into the scene and then place which ever obstacle I wanted to trigger into the scene. With the prefabs anyone who picks up the project has the ability to put a level together very quickly.
At the end of the week I have achieved a lot in terms of making all the game objects into prefabs and making the level extremely easy to set up. I still need to adjust the level it give it the correct level of difficulty.