This week was the second hand-in for the level design module which means that all hands where on deck to ensure we had a good project that we were happy with. This did mean that the Unity project was shelved for this week so no progress was made.
As a team we were not particularly happy with the cinematic so I was in charge of getting this up to a good standard. While the rest of the team worked on the word document as this was worth more than the cinematic.
The first area that needed fixing was the particle effects as they were either not working correctly or did not look attractive in the level. I first added smoke for the bomb entering the Market Place this was white smoke as there was no fire. It was also designed to look like dust as the bomb did not explode but cause a lot of damage. The other particle effect was on the shot of the earth. The effect on the earth at the beginning of the week looked like little fires and not explosions. After working on this for a while it finally looked like lots of explosions happening around the world. I got this effect by setting up 3 matinee tracks that could have lots of particle effects plugged in. These tracks were then turned on and off very quickly to get the explosion effect.
The next area that needed fixing was the camera shots as these often hanged in once place while the level changed around it. To improve this I focused on tighter shots that looked at really impressive areas such as the front sign on the Market Place building. I also added panning shots while the level changed. Another Idea I had was instead of having one change as the shots were tighter I could replay the change at different speeds in different areas to get the effect that this has happened over many years.
The hand-in was not left till the last minute and was handed in early in the morning this was to ensure we did not risk missing the deadline as we nearly did on the last hand-in.